Influence of Teachers’ Preparedness on Students’ Academic Performance in Public Secondary Schools in Rwanda

  • Ndoli Damien Mount Kenya University
  • Mukamazimpaka Marie Claire Adventist University of Central Africa

Abstract

The standard level of preparedness among secondary school teachers plays an important role in improvement of students’ academic performance. Hence, the study sought to examine the influence of teachers’ preparedness on students’ academic performance in public secondary schools in Gatsibo district in Rwanda. Correlation research design was employed. The target population was 308 respondents including 280 teachers and 28 directors of studies. The sample size was 174 (158 teachers and 16 directors of studies). Yamane formula was utilized to get the sample size. Interview guide, question and document analysis were taken as instrument of data collection. The findings revealed that majority of respondents with the mean of 3.13 and the standard deviation of 1.28 corresponding with 45.6% of teachers’ agreed that they have effective use of instructional materials. It was also revealed that majority of the respondents with the mean of 3.19 and 1.28 of standard deviation revealed they use computer to prepare their lessons. The study also indicated that majority of respondents having the mean of 3.09 and the standard deviation of 1.35 corresponding with 40.5% of teachers agreed that there is active class participation. The findings also reveal that there is 26.2% of teacher preparedness able to affect the level of students’ academic performance and the remaining 73.8 % of students’ academic performance can be affected by other variables. The study found there is a statistically significant high correlation between teacher preparedness and students’ academic performance (P=.000 and r = .817). The study recommended the school head teachers to make regular checking of teachers’ documents for the purpose of enhancing the level of teachers’ readiness. The Ministry of education responsible to improve teaching profession is recommended to enhance to quality and quantity of professional training given to teachers. The Non-governmental organizations should make collaboration with the school administration for the purpose of improving the level of teachers’ preparedness and students’ academic performance.

Keywords: Teacher preparedness, Students’ academic performance, Public secondary schools

Author Biographies

Ndoli Damien, Mount Kenya University

Post graduate student, Mount Kenya University, Rwanda

Mukamazimpaka Marie Claire, Adventist University of Central Africa

Lecturer, Adventist University of Central Africa, Rwanda

Published
2022-05-23
How to Cite
Damien, N., & Claire, M. M. (2022). Influence of Teachers’ Preparedness on Students’ Academic Performance in Public Secondary Schools in Rwanda. Journal of Education, 5(2). https://doi.org/10.53819/81018102t5069
Section
Articles